Friday, May 20, 2005

Mmmm . . . Speedos

I got into Toronto late last night and didn't get to bed until 2 a.m. Four hours later, my bedroom was filled with sunlight.

My body was saying, "Okay, it's morning. Time to get up" while my mind was saying, "Dammit, how the hell am I going to block out that annoying light so I can sleep for another six hours?"

I hate flying east. I'm not much of a morning person to begin with so having that part of the day arrive three hours sooner is torture. Since I was awake, I started hunting through my suitcase for black clothes that I could drape across the window. Because I'm not seven feet tall, none of my shirts were long enough to cover the window.

So I went back to bed and tried to sleep but couldn't. I started dreaming up other ways to block out the light.

"I could get a couple of towels and nail them to the window frame. Hmm . . . better not. Don't think mom and dad would like that. Plus it would wake everyone up. Maybe I could cover my eyes with something."

I tried tying my fleece jacket around my head but it was too lumpy and made sleeping uncomfortable. I dove back into my suitcase for a black t-shirt but pulled out a black swimsuit by accident. Since it was made of spandex, it stretched easily and I was able to tie it in a knot in the back of my head.

It worked perfectly. I slept soundly for the next six hours and woke up feeling like a genius.

Now I'm trying to eat breakfast while typing at the same time. I'm feeling nervous about swimming the 1500 tonight. When I get nervous, my stomach shuts down. So it's taken me almost half an hour just to eat one bagel.

We'll be heading out to the pool later this afternoon. I am so excited.

No comments: