Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Tag, you’re it!

I'm crashing this nerdy little party sweeping across the blogosphere right now. Everyone is playing this game where you post the answers to four questions about books and then ask five other people to do the same.

Number of books you own
I don't know. Hundreds? I've never counted how many books I own.

Last book you bought
A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole. (I started reading this when I was in Toronto last month. I was snooping through my sister's room looking for something to read. A Confederacy of Dunces was the only book she owned that I hadn't already read. But my sister refused to let me take it back to Vancouver. So I went out and bought my own copy.)

Last book you read
The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. (I blew through this one in about two days. It was an easy read. Although I appreciate cleverness, originality and creativity, sometimes it's nice to read a book that's stripped of fancy literary techniques. When a book is filled with gratuitous hyperbole and meaningless metaphors, it can get annoying. The Kite Runner just tells a good story without showing off.)

Five books you really like
1. Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler because it's funny.
2. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen because it's bold.
3. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry because it's heartbreaking.
4. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky because it's thrilling.
5. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer because it's spellbinding.

Your turn! Leave your answers in the comments section (I'm always looking for book recommendations). I'd love to see what you guys think!