Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cyclelicious


I'm going to say something that you don't hear in Vancouver very often: I can't remember the last time it rained.

This has got to be one of the warmest, driest summers in the history of the universe. Or at least in the history of British Columbia. Or maybe just in the past few years.

Whatever. The point is it's sunny and beautiful in a city famous for record rainfalls and leaky condos.

Now, I know writing about the weather doesn't make for scintillating reading. But I like to write about things I'm passionate about and I'm passionate about good weather. And good meteorologists (well, mostly just Claire Martin).

So, thank you, Claire for forecasting nothing but sunny skies for weeks on end. It's amazing to think I've spent the entire month of July swimming in the ocean, hiking in the mountains and cycling on the roads without a single drop of rain.

The French may dismiss this constant sunshine as banal. But, to me, it's cyclelicious!

The weather made for a perfect bike ride up Mount Baker on the weekend. It's no secret that the ribbon of road that winds its way up to the base of Mount Baker in Washington State is one of my favourite places in the world.


The road is quiet and the scenery is spectacular. The ride is filled with steep mountain climbs, hairpin turns and fast descents.

It was like our own private Tour de France. But with stops for ice cream and beer.




[You can see the rest of the photos here.]

The cycleliciousness continues this weekend when I make my way to Summerland (what a great name for a town) where my friends Cam and Delacey are getting married. Not surprisingly, the weather forecast is calling for blue skies and sunshine.

No comments: