Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Real men like cats

I was flipping through a friend's copy of Feline Wellness magazine the other day when I made a startling discovery.

Sandwiched between a story about the latest trends in kitty bling (apparently "collar jewelry" is all the rage) and a quiz to "test your cat's Personality IQ" (don't ask) was an article about a new dating website for cat lovers.


According to the website, PURRsonals.com is a place "where cat lovers meet and share their passion for cats."

Laugh if you like. But it's no weirder than any other niche dating site (take, for example, Jedi Dating or Daily Diapers).

I like cats and I like guys who like cats. So I'm kind of tempted to post a profile on the site. There's only one small problem: I don't actually have a cat of my own.

I'm worried this would stir up controversy in the online cat community. I don't want to be responsible for turning PURRsonals.com into another JDate.com (which was a site created to bring Jewish singles together and is now overrun by non-Jews).

But I can't help it if I'm attracted to men who like cats. Men who like cats tend to be secure, independent, a little eccentric, quiet, kind and sensitive.

At the same time, I have to wonder what kind of guy would post a personal ad on a dating site for cat lovers. Liking cats is one thing but liking them so much that you only want to date crazy cat ladies to the exclusion of all others is another thing altogether.

I'm not sure that's not a place I want to go.

No comments: