Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Vancouver + snow = chaos

I woke up this morning to a frantic radio report about school closures and treacherous driving conditions due to an overnight snow storm that was wreaking havoc on Vancouver.

(I still get excited when I hear the words "snow storm" and "school closures.")

I jumped out of bed and ran over to the window, hoping to see a raging blizzard outside. I peeked between the blinds and saw . . . a light dusting of snow on the ground and a couple of flakes floating in the air.

Oh, Vancouver. Your hysteria over a few centimetres of snow makes me laugh.

The CBC had three different reporters tracking the storm. (Yes, they actually used the word "storm.")

There were stories about delayed flights, road closures, traffic jams, transit chaos, school closures, fender benders. The whole city was paralyzed -- all because of five centimetres of snow.

I took a few pictures of the "nasty conditions" on my way to work. It's almost as ridiculous as the time Toronto called in the army to help shovel snow.



No comments: