Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Fear mongering

So Anne McLellan says Canadians need to be "psychologically prepared" for a terrorist attack. I’m having trouble wrapping my head around this one.

How exactly do we psychologically prepare ourselves for a terrorist attack? When I wake up in the morning, am I supposed to mentally rehearse getting blown up on the bus on my way to work? Is there a book on psychological preparedness I should read?

What’s the point of being psychologically prepared anyway? If I’m unlucky enough to be riding a bus down Granville Street when terrorists blow it up, well, there’s not much I can do about it. I’m not going to live in a constant state of fear and paranoia waiting for that to happen.

The only thing Canadians need to be psychologically prepared for is more idiotic statements from politicians like Anne McLellan.