Sunday, May 06, 2012

Where have all the comments gone?

As of tonight, I've pulled the third-party commenting system I've been using for the past several years off my blog. The company that hosted the comments announced that it will discontinue its service in October so I decided to go back to the original commenting system built into this blog.

Unfortunately, making the switch meant losing thousands of thoughtful, helpful, insightful, funny and touching comments that have been posted on this blog since 2005. All of the comments are gone. I'm gutted. I really am.

Ever since I've been in Germany, I haven't been able to read and reply to your comments because of a glitch in the commenting system. I didn't want to wait until October to replace it. So it had to go. I only wish your comments didn't have to go along with it.

9 comments:

Esz said...

Ah that's such a shame you lost all your comments. Have you thought about switching to Disqus? I use them and they're really good - It may be too late to save your existing comments, but they do have a feature where they transfer your entire history over a couple of days.

Eva said...

My last comment was:

Welcome to Europe!! And..nice blog about Japan (the last one).

Eva

Sarah said...

Esz....hmmmm. I'll have to take a look at Disqus. At this point I wonder if it's possible to recover the comments from the old system and transfer them over.

Eva...thank you, and thank you!

K Lirenman said...

Hi Sarah, I still read your blog! I'll try to be better at leaving you comments. I love comments but the only real blogging I'm doing these days are on my professional/teaching blog, and my class blog. I think I told you my grade one students are blogging too. They are the cutest bloggers ever!

Rob Cottingham said...

What rotten luck! Let me know if I can rattle any cages on exporting the comments from your old system.

Sarah M. said...

Hi Karen. That's really nice to hear. Thanks. And I'm glad that you're grade 1 students are still at it!

Rob...thanks for the offer. Not really sure what can be done but if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Anonymous said...

when are you going to write a new post? this is how i catch up on your life. i feel so out of date...

Sarah said...

Just posted a new one! Hope that makes you feel more up-to-date.

waling-waling said...

i'll probably be back to read more your site carries good data all in favor of readers.

www.n8fan.net