Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The decision

After thinking long and hard, I have decided not to stay in Japan for another year. It wasn’t an easy decision to make but it feels right.

I love Japan. I love the people. I love my small rural town. I love my students. I love the food. I love almost everything about this weird and wonderful place. I feel like I’ve been on an all-expenses-paid fantasy vacation for the past seven months. But I think I’ll be ready to move on once the year is up.

Plus, the David Suzuki Foundation agreed to extend my leave of absence until October 1st so that I can travel for two months before I return to Vancouver. It was the proverbial offer I couldn’t refuse.

Still, I’m a little freaked out about my decision. I’m worried I will regret not staying a second year. It’s impossible to know how I’m going to feel five months from now. Will I wish I had stayed or will I be excited to head home? I don’t know.

All I know is that my time in Japan is limited. So I’m just going to focus on enjoying every single moment it while it lasts.

No comments: